header image:Amy Pickles
Deadline for applications: Monday 14 December 2020, 12 noon.
The care of others is central to the collective survival of our world yet is deeply undervalued within our society – this is often mirrored in the structures of support created for artists.
The Scottish Sculpture Workshop x Counterflows Caregivers residency is shaped to support artists who undertake this essential care work and is set up to provide a nourishing, open and flexible residency structure to serve their diverse needs.
Caring for family (biological or chosen), community and/or kin, either professionally or informally can form and create artistic practices as well as disrupt them. Throughout lockdown however, all aspects of home, work and caregiving have become tangled up and mashed together, often making each of these things feel increasingly impossible.
We recognise how difficult it is for artists with caring responsibilities to grasp time, energy, resources and focus for their practice, particularly when support networks are disrupted and funding diverted through the C-19 pandemic. With this in mind, this residency offers funding, flexibility, respite and space for self-care, to focus on their own needs and support continued learning and development.
To support residency activity, the selected artist will receive:
- £1500 artist fee
- £300 travel budget
- £300 materials budget
- A four week residency at SSW with use of studio, workshops and technical support
- Private accommodation in the SSW house. This has 4 bedrooms and a kitchen/ bathroom available for the artist and other artists on residency (max 2 households)
- A budget of £1000 to support access and care costs to enable the artist to take part in the residency.
To apply for the SSW x Counterflows Caregiver’s Residency you must:
- Identify as a caregiver
- Have experience making experimental sound or performance based work
- Be based in the Scotland
- Be willing/ able to travel to SSW and participate in the residency within the support outlined.
To apply, please visit the SSW website